CDAAC - Communication Disorders Assistant Association of Canada Banner representing different modes of communication
CDAAC logo
Become a Member
CDAAC Events
Frequently Asked Questions
CDA's at work
Support personnel
College programs
Position Paper
Scope of Practice
How to

Annual CDAAC Member Award - information

or contact us here

CDAAC on Facebook   CDAAC on Twitter   CDAAC on Linked In

CDAAC Members area: Login Password sign-up: new members Retrieve lost password CDAAC Members Forum

Frequently Asked Questions ...

This page contains some of the most frequently asked questions and the answers to them. If you still have further questions, please send them to

For additional information, see our about CDAAC page.

  1. What is a CDA?

    CDA stands for 'Communicative Disorders Assistant'.  A CDA is someone who works with a speech-language pathologist (SLP) or audiologist (AUD) to provide intervention to individuals with difficulties in the area of communication.  CDAs do not work independently from an SLP or AUD.  CDAs are trained to work in the areas of speech, language, augmentative communication and hearing with individuals of any age.

  2. How do I become a CDA?

    See our list of college programs.

  3. There are other programs in Canada that also prepare students to work in this field.  Why are their graduates not eligible for membership with CDAAC?

    CDAAC is a national association that recognizes the unique training of graduates from the above-listed programs.  They are the only post-graduate programs that include coursework in all areas of communication and prepare students to work with clients of any age.

  4. I was trained as an SLP/AUD in a different country.  I have recently moved to Canada, but I cannot work as an SLP/AUD yet.  Can I join CDAAC?

    Only graduates of the above-listed programs are eligible for full membership with CDAAC.  CDAs have been uniquely trained to work as supportive personnel, which is different from SLP and AUD training.

  5. Why aren't CDAs regulated?

    See this document (PDF).

  6. I work in private practice and my client's insurance provider is now denying coverage for services provided by a CDA. What can I do?

    In 2015 in Ontario some insurance providers began to deny claims for services provided by CDAs working in private practice. CDAAC has written a letter which may be provided to insurance providers denying coverage to help educate them about our clinical relationship with S-LPs and Audiologists. We have received feedback that such education has proved effective in many cases. In others, it has been beneficial for the supervising S-LP to have this discussion with the insurance provider. There are currently other efforts underway to address the issue.

    See: CDAAC letter re. insurance coverage of CDA services (PDF).

CDAAC - homeContact usReturn to top of page